Nigeria ! HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY
As you kukere and skelewu all week, here are a few interesting facts about this wonderful country and people.
- Most populous country in Africa.
- Ile-Ife, in present day Osun State, was paved as early as 1000AD, with decorations that originated from Ancient America suggesting there might have been contact between the Yorubas and the Ancient Americans half a millenium before Columbus ‘discovered’ America.
- The Walls of Benin (800-1400AD), in present day Edo State, are the longest ancient earthworks in the world, and probably the largest man-made structure on earth.
- Sarki Muhammad Kanta The Great of Kebbi, was the only ruler who resisted control by Songhai, West Africa’s greatest empire at that time.
- The Yoruba tribe has the highest rate of twin births in the world.